Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Any 417 experts here?

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Any 417 experts here?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Any 417 experts here?

    I've posted about 417's before,,,about how I consider them to be one of the best guitar speakers ever...

    But here is an oddity...I talked to the seller

    Pulled from an old sparkle Kustom cabinet...an OEM pair.

    Date coded 391938 on both...

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

    Old sparkle Kustom, 9 for year, Okay we got a slam dunk...1969...

    Except look at the frames. New style frames...so...no problem...79 right?

    No friggin' way.

    By 79 I was doing retail...if you search my older posts we sold a lot of Kustom stuff...enough to make the Columbus store the second largest Kustom dealer in the country. Only Chicago sold more.

    Kustom was exclusively EV by then (disregarding el cheapos were CTS)...to the point where Peavey was getting slow shipped because Kustom was a good EV customer...a fact which PO'ed Hartley Peavey into building his own drivers.

    I partied in Las Vegas with the principals of Kustom in 79...I can tell you with almost 100% certainty these are not 79. And 79 should have stepped alnicos.

    So the dilemma...is it possible a few speakers were made with new frames earlier? or these got a set of prototype frames?

    Inquiring minds wanna know. or at least one does.

    I'd appreciate input on this...it's really got me curious.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Any 417 experts here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Old sparkle Kustom, 9 for year, Okay we got a slam dunk...1969...

    Except look at the frames. New style frames...so...no problem...79 right?
    I've never seen black framed 417's before..... was that done just for Kustom?

    I've got a pair of 417's with the new frames, built in 75. When was the changeover supposed to take place?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Any 417 experts here?

    No expert here, but i'd like to register my vote for 1969. Main reason being the foilcal that just says "417" with no number/letter suffix.

    We know positively that they were making new style small frames in time to appear in '71 literature. That date code is well into the 2nd half of '69, i say it's very possible and likely they're from 69.

    AH HA!

    Circa 1968 spec sheet: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...vers/page1.jpg
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Any 417 experts here?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Any 417 experts here?

    Thanks Bowtie...so it would appear the frames were on 417's late 60's...

    I was so certain they were not 79....but really thought with the frames they would be around 71-72.

    I was working with Altec 71-73 and old frames were still coming thru the pipe.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Any 417 experts here?

    Thanks Bowtie...so it would appear the frames were on 417's late 60's...
    You're most welcome, sometimes my expertise at clicking the hell out of a mouse comes in handy.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.